Prep List for Tales
- Milk Thistle extract for liver function
- Turmeric extract for inflammation
- Liquid B-complex for energy and clarity
- Coconut water x4 for electrolytes, in theory, but really just because one likes it.
- Bottled cold brew with Peruvian superfood maca
- Melatonin, for use in the absence of cannabinoids, which even in liquid high-CBD medical form one is too sensible to try to fly into the South with
- Energy bars to ward off hangry travel tantrums
- Sandals for hot weather running around
- Wad-able cardigan for conference rooms chilled to meat locker temps
- Extra strength natural deodorant mini to carry around
- Large “bite-and-suck” camelback bottle aka “the water boob” for constant hydration
- Large granny purse for carrying cardigan and water boob
- More than week’s worth of outfits for inevitable sweat-throughs
Agreement between partners, Tuan and Hope
Thankfully, I’m not in this alone. I’m here with my partner in life and in journalism, photographer Tuan Lee. He’s taking the photos and doing what he does best, spreading the word on his enthusiasms to everyone who will listen. It is dangerous, however, to travel with a loved one to a bacchanalia. No, not for nefarious reasons. Because nobody likes that drunk arguing at the bar. Here’s how we are going to keep the peace and our sanity.
- Utilize spit buckets in all tasting rooms. Really.
- Share sample cocktails at industry pairing events.
- One-and-done policy at evening events. Soda water for lengthy networking.
- No drinking in the hotel room.
- Use hotel gym every morning even if feeling awful
- No turning stress and liver fatigue into quarrels
- Maintain a united front. If partner appears neglectful, it is because they are drowning. Go rescue them.
- Stay away from bad influences, those industry lifers who appear to be operating just fine with a low-level hangover going 24 hours a day. These people will pressure one to over-imbibe with them, then be right back up and at ‘em while one is buried in bedclothes praying for the merciful hand of death the following morning.
- Eat. and eat and eat.
- Have fun.